Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Meet Mae Wiggles: poster pup for future change


The other evening I went to a great little coffee house in Marigny called Sound Cafe to attend a 'meet and greet' session for artists participating in Silence is Violence's Peace Clubs; an expansion of an outreach program it started in 2007. To my surprise, my dog was there
too.
The organization- which works tirelessly to terminate such crime by way of teaching alternative expression and advocating positive community participation - has recently partnered respected New Orleans artists with schools throughout the city where they will turn their passion, talent and trades into new forms of communication for their students. I started documenting the clubs and will launch a blog dedicated to the project in a few days. It's so exciting working with such inspiring individuals and on such a meaningful assignment.
As the meeting was wrapping up, I turned and noticed a DOGS OF THE 9TH WARD (scroll down to read my earlier post) flyer with a familiar face posted on the bulletin board behind me. There she was; the fawn colored, white nosed pit bull (most likely mixed with something else) pup I adopted nearly a month ago.
I quickly stood up from my seat to take a closer look. The small piece of paper had the same 'make you melt' picture and gutting story from Kelly's blog that catapulted me into this new chapter of my life: a dog owner living in New Orleans, once again.
Mae (she was previously called Amber) was found running the streets with a pack of aggressive ferrals searching for food. She was -and still is- sweet as can be, but plagued with severe skin problems and other health issues. I had just started helping D9 when I received a voicemail inquiring whether I could foster this little mutt in need. While there were several things that made me weary of doing so: the responsibility, my non-structured schedule, and lack of funds - to name a few, I did it it anyways. I decided to foster her.
I told myself when I first moved down here, "NO DOGS!" I had adopted Jenga, a voluptuous, beautiful black lab/pit mix and Cassy, an ethereal Cate Blanchett creature of the K-9 world, when I was an undergrad at Tulane - they are now living the dream with my mom in Colorado- but now I really needed to focus on a career and establishing myself here.
After meeting Mae at Prytania Vet where she was boarding however, I gained a new perspective. Besides trying to help the overwhelming unwanted and stray animal problem in New Orleans, the term 'foster' lingered in my head. I could foster. It's temporary. Right? Wrong.
My mom new this from the moment I explained the situation to her. "So, you got a new dog." She said laughing.
At 40+lbs, seven months and teething, times with Mae have gotten interesting and unpredictable. Things I could never possibly imagine as a chew toy have gotten destroyed by her.
There is also an entirely new culture of pet ownership and how the public perceives pit bulls I am experiencing.
I understand and respect not everyone wants a pet; and that many individuals don't even really care for animals. I, however, have always been an animal lover and an advocate for humane treatment towards all living creatures. I can't stand needless suffering and try to do everything not to participate in, or promote, it in anyway.
Without going much further into this arena - for right now - I think many of the horrific stories we hear of violent acts and mistreatment towards both people and non-humans branches back to deep routed ignorance and lack of respect for quality of life for oneself and others. The experiences one has lived often coinciding or
leading to such crimes are those many of us can't even imagine. It is never too late though to realize there are other ways of life.
I think humane education, and teaching alternative expression through art or other avenues (especially for our youth) is vital to the future of communities and welfare for all living things. It is something you will read more about on this blog in the near future.
The other day I was taking Mae for our morning walk. We went around the block in our usual counterclockwise direction. She sniffed her usual spots where the neighbor's dogs play, and wagged her tail starring into the wind as she usual does.
As we passed the African American Museum just around the corner from my apartment, two little kids stood across the street mesmerized by her. Maybe it was her clumsy gallop, flopping pink tongue or flapping ears, but they couldn't stop watching Mae's every move. Their mom had to tug on their arms to continue walking.
"You can pet her." I said coiling up her leash a little more. I was going to cross over to them. "Oh no. We don't do pets." The mom responded.
I started to walk on, not thinking much other than, 'oh well.' But then she called back, "Dogs don't like kids, right?" I turned back with Mae in tow, smiled and told her that's not true: That many dogs love children, quite often more than adults since they are more fun and 'on their level.' That I grew up with dogs, German Shepherds for that matter. That one should always be careful, especially with strange dogs, but dogs -when they are not mistreated or made to act otherwise - generally love people. She nodded her head and walked on, appearing to digest all the material.
Many people too are intrigued with Mae because she is a pit . Suddenly everyone is an expert on the breed, including people you'd never expect. I get a lot of looks walking her around my neighborhood; some people are frightened while others are impressed. A lot of people want to stop and talk about her, and in my own way, when the topics are brought up, I try to educate as many individuals as I can about some principles I believe. I tell everyone that she is a rescue, that she is spay, and that she lives indoors (on my couch and loves to cuddle!). Many people wonder if she was a fighter and I say I hope not.
It's small steps right now but important ones, I think.

© Michelle Icahn

All Photographs Copyright Michelle Icahn , All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment